Thursday, July 18, 2013

Shellie May would like a new old house

"This is a nice house," Shellie May said. "Can I have it?"


"I don't think you want to live in a museum, Shellie May."

"But that bed looks so comfortable!"

Thinking quickly, I read the placard to her. "The McCormicks slept in this room. Margaret reported this incident in a letter to her friend Emma Deaike in New Jersey: 'A gentleman came in the sitting room and I took Dicken's "Mutual Friend" in my bedroom to read. I seated myself on the bed and leaned back against a pillow. After the gentleman left we concluded to retire, when what should we discover but a centipede upon the very pillow upon which I had been leaning.'"

Shellie May considered. "I think I will leave this bedroom to the McCormicks."

Good choice, Shellie May.

No comments:

Post a Comment